Monday, February 22, 2010

Roasted Chicken with Winter Vegetables

About a week ago, my best friend was having a birthday, and I invited her and her husband over for dinner. She's someone who is very particular about her diet and healthy eating, and many of our friends are reluctant to cook for her. The only modification I made from how I might usually make a dish like this is that I prefer to use butter or margarine and make an herb butter for the chicken, as it's easier to work with.

I headed to the supermarket with only a vague idea of what would be on the menu. I found roasters on sale, as well as white potatoes, yams and butternut squash. That was the germ of my inspiration, and the result turned out to be such a hit that the enormous plate of vegetables I put on the table yielded no leftovers. A simple green salad rounded out the dinner. The entire dinner for 4 cost me about $15 (before wine, provided by a friend), and there was plenty of meat left over for soup. If you're feeding a crowd, add another potato and yam or two, but make sure your roasting pan is big enough.


1 roaster chicken
2 tbsp. assorted dried and/or fresh herbs, finely minced (I used a premixed Bouquet Garni, and added additional thyme, tarragon, rosemary and fresh parsley)
1 butternut squash (I used only 2/3 of it)
1 large white potato
1 large yam
2 ribs celery
1 large or 2 medium onions
olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
sea salt and freshly-ground pepper

Take the herbs and mix them in a small dish with about 1-1/2 tbsp. oil and 1 tsp. salt. Set aside. (As I mentioned before, this also works very well with butter or margarine instead.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Remove giblets from chicken, and make a stock, if desired, by covering them with about 6 cups of water with some salt, bay leaf, and the trimmings from everything except the potatoes. Simmer on low heat for about an hour, strain and store (I freeze mine). Makes about 1 quart.

Rinse the chicken and pat dry, and salt the cavity. Lift the skin by running your hand under it all over the breasts and legs. Spread the herb mixture under the skin, making sure to get to all areas. This is likely to get oil on the outside of the skin as well, but if it's not covered, add a few drops to the outside, and salt lightly if desired.

Put the chicken in a large roasting pan and roast for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 for 1 hour.

Peel all the vegetables and cut into 1-1/2" cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt, and a generous amount of cracked black pepper. Add them to the roasting pan with the wine, lifting the chicken and placing it on top. (Note: I like my poultry very well done, falling off the bone. If you want it cooked less, adjust the time per the roaster instructions, leaving 1 hour for the veggies.)

Plate up and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I use comment moderation here to avoid comment-spam and nastiness, not to filter opinions. I intend to publish all reasonable comments, whether or not they agree with me. I will not publish any comment that is unduly flaming or that uses foul language, whether or not it agrees with me. You may contact me about an entry by making a comment and telling me that it is a private comment, in which case I will not publish it. If you want a response, please include your email address. For privacy reasons I won’t publish a comment that contains someone’s email address.