Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Turkey and Three Bean Chili

Although I call this Turkey Chili, it started out as a vegetarian, bean-based chili, and it can revert back to that original form easily.*

It was back then that I discovered my "secret ingredient" for the base. The results I had been getting, while they had a great flavor, had a texture that was too much like baked beans. I didn't want to use tofu (more beans, really), but wanted to add something to the mix that would bulk out the texture, yet wouldn't make it taste like something else. What I eventually came up with was shredded carrots!

They're the right color, their naturally sweet flavor blends in perfectly with the savory cumin and coriander seasonings, the texture provides a perfect medium for the beans, and if they're grated finely enough, you're not really sure what they are. I once served a milder version of this at a party intending it to be for the adults, but all the children present chose it over soup with a sandwich. What a great way for kids to get their vegetables!

Eventually, meat crept its way in, and I made it for years using ground turkey (as it's photographed here). I've also made it with chicken, and although I'm not a big red-meat eater, there's no reason it wouldn't work with beef. I first tried making turkey chili with roast turkey one year when I had more than enough Thanksgiving leftovers for one person to use. The results were so good that henceforth, I've make a turkey with the intention of freezing a certain portion of it for later use in chili. Dark meat seems to give the best flavor.

A few notes about the spices. First, this is not a mild chili. If you want a milder one, I suggest starting with half the amounts here, and than adding a little at a time to taste, or only using chili powder, and leaving the other peppers out.

Second, I'm very picky about my spices, and they really do make a difference. I happen to love Penzeys, and I'm lucky enough to have one near to me; they ship anywhere here in the U.S. and some overseas locations. I also buy my spices whole when I'm able, and use a mortar and pestle (or you can use a little electric chopper/grinder) to grind them just before they go into the pot. Trust me, if you buy the large, inexpensive jars that they sell at the corner drug store, or use spices you've had in your cupboards for a while, you're going to get different results.

Last, the use of nutmeg with the turkey. I have no idea what inspired me to try this the first time, but I discovered that using a little nutmeg with ground turkey improves the taste incredibly. Since then, I always use it, regardless of what I'm making. One of the things I'm most often told about this dish is that it "doesn't take like turkey", and I'm sure that's why.


Turkey and Three Bean Chili


3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 lb. ground turkey, or cooked, roasted turkey, cut into 3/4" cubes* **
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large white onion, diced
1 lb. carrots, finely shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 28 oz. cans crushed or diced tomatoes
1/2 tbsp. best quality chili powder (Penzeys has several heat levels, and I use "Regular")
1/2 tsp. ancho chili pepper
1/2 tsp. aleppo pepper
1/2 of a Guajillo pepper, including seeds, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp, oregano
1 15 oz. can yellow corn, drained (be sure to get a brand with no sugar added), or 1-1/2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
1 15 oz. can each of black, dark red, and light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Heat a large pot on medium high heat, add oil and cumin, and cook for a minute or so, until spice is fragrant. Add coriander, and cook a few seconds more, then add the turkey. Sprinkle turkey with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cook well, taking care to insure that the meat is in fine pieces. When it's just about done, add onion and cook a few minutes, then add carrots and garlic, and saute about 5 minutes, until carrots are cooked.

Add tomatoes, and if mixture seems dry, about 1 cup of water. Sprinkle in the peppers, cinnamon and oregano, bring to simmer, and then cover and cook on low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally. If you would like to make this in advance, it freezes well at this point, before the beans and corn are added.

Add corn and beans. Taste for seasonings at this point, and adjust as necessary. Cook on low heat, covered, for about an additional hour. Serve over piles of fluffy white rice, and sprinkle with jack cheese or queso if desired.

Enjoy.


** If using cooked, roasted turkey, add to other ingredients right after tomatoes.

* If you leave out the meat, either add another can of your favorite beans, or reduce the seasonings by about 25%.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I use comment moderation here to avoid comment-spam and nastiness, not to filter opinions. I intend to publish all reasonable comments, whether or not they agree with me. I will not publish any comment that is unduly flaming or that uses foul language, whether or not it agrees with me. You may contact me about an entry by making a comment and telling me that it is a private comment, in which case I will not publish it. If you want a response, please include your email address. For privacy reasons I won’t publish a comment that contains someone’s email address.